I have never thought that builders who laminated chain plates into the decks of boats really ever thought about what a weak point like this really is.
Especially after 20 plus years of stainless steel being starved of oxygen

After reading about many other owners who have had trouble with these deck cluttering arrangements and the failures over the years I decided to go with a tried and true method I have used on a couple other boats.


Click on any image for a larger view..  use your back button to return here..


I purchased enough 316 stainless bar from OnlineMetals.com to make all the new chain plates for the exterior install.
I cut the material to the lengths required, then rounded the top and bottom ends.
Rather than spend a fortune having them polished, I used a belt sander to give them a "brushed" finish.
Starting with 36 grit and working my way thru 80, 120 and finally 220 grit, they came out looking pretty good.
Drilling the 9/16 inch holes was sent out to a local machine shop at a cost of $125.00 total.
My total cost for all new chain plates was under $375.00.


In this photo one of the new chain plates is laying on top of the rub rail with its backer while I drill the holes.

Detail of chain plate with spacer (backer) in between
the hull and plate. These are made of African
Mahogany that has been soaked in an epoxy
solution and then clear coated with AwlGrip.

In this pic the backers are clearly depicted. The purpose for these is to move the chain plate the same distance from the hull as the Wale Strake. The cover boards were notched to give clearance at the top


More photos to come.....................

Note that each chain plate has five bolts thru the hull. The top bolt on each chain plate is left un-drilled until the standing rigging is installed. The rigging will require the top of the chain plate to be bent to conform with the angle of the wire. Once this is done, the top bolts will be installed.

The chain plates are 5/16 inch thick by 2 inches wide and 26 inches long. I purchased long lengths of 316 flat bar from OnlineMetals.com and did all the cutting and finishing myself. Only the holes were done by someone else.

Inside the hull the bolts are backed up with 3/4 inch thick African Mahogany ( treated with epoxy as usual) and the nuts are installed over large "fender washers".

These are very similar to the way the chain plates were done on my Bristol Channel Cutter, Solita, and they worked very well. The nice thing is, I can see what is going on with them.

Flying Cloud came to me with new swaged rigging of about two years old. These boats came with fairly light gauge wire and I wanted something a bit heavier. So using all the original wire from the main mast, I cut it down to fit the mizzen.
On the main mast I went with all new 5/16 1x19 wire. All swage terminals were eliminated and I used HiMods eyes and studs on wire ends of ALL rigging. All of the tangs were removed from the masts, x-rayed and where needed, new tangs were fabricated


Copyright Short Dog Graphics, Inc.© 2005. All Rights Reserved